Faculty Drop-in Service for Fall 2020
New SUNY Online Teaching Drop-in Support Service Launched
In response to requests identified in May 2020 via the SUNY Online Fall 2020 Campus Support Needs Survey, the Open SUNY Online Teaching unit has launched a Fall 2020 Remote Online Faculty Drop-in Support service. We are very pleased to have the opportunity to work with colleagues and faculty at Columbia-Greene Community College and SUNY FIT, who have contracted with us for these services.
Drop-in services include:
- “How to?” technical support is provided by the Open SUNY Help Desk (HD) during HD hours.
- “Why to?” Online Instructional Design (ID) support is provided by the SUNY Online Teaching unit via a zoom room drop-in that is staffed from 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm on weekdays through Sept 15th for CGCC, and through September 22, 2020 for FIT.
To access ID services, faculty contact the Open SUNY HD (for tracking and triage). The HD either assists with the technical inquiry, or provides a link to the ID Zoom room (during hours of operation) for online instructional design support.
Typical faculty questions that the HD supports:
- “How to” questions on course related items such as tests/surveys/pools.
- “How to” questions on assignments.
- “How to”questions on Collaborate.
- “How to” questions on discussions.
- “How to” questions on grade center modifications.
- Browser/Connection issues.
- Cache/Cookies related issues.
- Login questions (in most cases we redirect back to campus).
Typical faculty questions that the ID team supports:
Instructional design support covers a range of course design and online teaching best practices including:
- Using an online course template to quick start effective online course design.
- Synchronous, asynchronous, and blended online course designs and strategies, tips, and best practices.
- Online course syllabus elements, and using the syllabus template.
- Building a sense of online class community – Social and Teaching Presences – trust building, ice-breaking, course closure.
Some optional focused-topic ID drop-in sessions may be offered in coordination with the campus to focus and frame faculty preparation activities.
- Setting up your Syllabus
- Courses for Observation
- Online Course Template tour
- Chunking your course/anatomy of a module
Learning Activities Design and Best Practices
- Effective Online Discussion
- Building Online Class Community
- Effective Online Teaching Practices
Week 5-7 in Bb: (by HD staff)
- Grade Book
- Running Bb Reports and Using the Blackboard Learn Retention Center
For a custom quote, or to inquire about this service, contact us for more information: